Half way -- and already there???

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed May 19 06:47:40 PDT 2004

Kerry wrote: If everyone was there, we would not need to do the work.  It
would have already been done.  In the meantime, all we can do is keep on
trucking.

For sure we keep on trucking - especially in those spheres where the human
spirit is shackled - which seems to be just about everywhere. Eastern Europe
may present special challenges and opportunities, but I also have to say
that the American corporation can be equally deadening - it may just look a
little nicer. However, I guess what I had in mind was less about doing/not
doing "the work" - than about the way we do it, and what our frame of
reference might be. Listening to a client talk before their experience in
Open Space, it often seems that they are anticipating that I (if I am the
facilitator) will be bringing something radically new, a previously unknown
gift (That, of course is on a good day - alternatively they may be
anticipating disaster). There is, of course, a sense in which they are
correct. Open Space and Spirit shows up - and maybe for the first time in a
long time. For participants and facilitator this can be a pretty wild and
positive experience - which goes a long way towards explaining Michael
Pannwitz's addiction. I think we all get hooked! However, I find I get in a
lot of trouble if I start to believe my own press. Yes something new showed
up (Spirit) - but no - I didn't bring it. Spirit was already there. I find
that keeping this "fact" clearly in mind to be very helpful. First, in terms
of my own confidence. When I look at that group in the opening circle and
say something like - "You are exactly the right people" this is not just
words - but total certainty. True, the group may have all sorts of doubts,
and my words may strike them as being more in the nature of a wild hope than
anything approaching reality. But from the inside (of me) I am just sharing
the obvious. Secondly, I find it useful to keep the cart and the horse in
the proper order. The analogy gets a little screwy, but if I ever fell prey
to the notion that I was the driving force, and acted that way, it might do
momentary wonders for a tattered ego (mine) while inflicting untold damage
to the group. They would simply have exchanged one guru/expert/dictator for
a new one.

All of this becomes most interesting when you juxtapose the addiction we
feel with the necessity to let it all go. But that is probably another
strand to be followed whenever.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: