"halfway technology"

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Wed May 19 04:57:56 PDT 2004

HO, Judi and et al

Open Space is one of at least 35 recognised large group processes.
All share one fundamental characteristic, which is participatory
democracy.  At this level, participants have an opportunity to
experience a different way of working, learning and possibly living
with each other.

For me, this is the teaching of large group work.  Subtle but there
every time an event is held.  Of course, events start with a
functional purpose, that's why sponsors pay for them.  But each time
someone gets turned on by participation and shared decision making,
it's a small victory for inclusion, equality and - how I dislike this
word - empowerment.  Every time that hierarchical pyramid gets
inverted, it's a triumph for the human spirit.  If you don't believe
me, try opening space in Eastern Europe.

So, half way or not, it is an awakening, an awareness of future
possibilities for us as facilitators and for others as participants
and possible future facilitators.

If everyone was there, we would not need to do the work.  It would
have already been done.  In the meantime, all we can do is keep on
trucking.

My oar in the pool of reflection.

Kerry
Open Futures