RE: Modesty &  5 Simultaneous Open Spaces

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Mon Mar 29 05:42:49 PST 2004

Joelle:

That story fits with my experience at this point in history as well.
Self-organizing happens and can be enhanced or accelerated.  The
accountability structures – usually some form of hierarchy in larger
systems – still function and in fact have to in order to assure folks
that things are within budget.   I think you are right that some
organizations are now learning the value of the interactive approach and
finding ways to integrate that with more traditional management
practices.  However, many leaders and managers are still stuck in
control and try to use hierarchy to do it.

Chris, to me hierarchy is a perspective on how to “order” things to get
certain things done.  Many people use it try to control – but
accountability and control are different.  It has its uses, but living
systems are much, much more – they are self-organizing.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada