what I am prepared to engage in and what I am not prepared to engage in with my energy--the archives

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 23:44:24 PST 2004

Right On!   Michael.

Exclusion hurts.   Inclusion heals.   Somewhere, in my dim, distant memory I
remember a poem about somebody drawing a circle to keep others out but that
somebody else "had the wit to win.   We drew a circle that took him in."   Or,
something like that.

The reason Apple Computer is less than 5% of the market is a failed strategy
of exclusiveness while Bill Gates created freedom for many others to invent
new programs for DOS and then Windows, both inferior systems to Apple, but
nonetheless, now dominant the world over.   Let's all draw a sharp lesson from
these two companies.

The reason the Tuskeegee Airmen lost ZERO B-17 bombers to enemy fighters was
their superior strategy.   They knew what their mission was: bring all the
bombers back safely (couldn't do anything about the losses to anti-aircraft
fire).   Hence, when an enemy fighter attacked, they simply drove them off and then
returned to the bomber formation.   Other fighter-escort squadrons had a
strategy of pursuing enemy fighters until they achieved a "kill".   That left the
bombers unprotected, and those squadrons lost bombers to enemy fighters, with
11 men going down with each bomber.   Very bad ratio, to say the least.

How does this relate?   We have to keep our strategy straight and keep OS
open to the world, in an active way, because the world needs it.   And, the world
needs the understandings of everyone on this list as they develop their deep
intuition about "Opening Space", a sacred act, indeed.   So, keep opening
space, including any and all archieves.   My two cents.

Paul Everett