SV: what happens when you mix OS and world cafe

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Tue Mar 16 15:22:35 PST 2004

Dear Chris
I have worked and still use both OS and World Café(+group graphics) but I
haven´t mixed them.

I have almost only used the Café when I have had a large group and little
time (often 2-3 hours).I do know that there are people around who use Café
to go deeper than we do on these occasions. As soon as I get more time and
the conditions are right I use Open Space. One important aspect for me is
that I think the experience of "we did it ourselves" is so powerful. Another
thing is that I think it is more efficient when there is enough time. One
more thing is that I think OS gives conditions that enhance relations
between participants and builds new networks amongst them, on a deeper and
more focused level (interest groups).

Today I facilitated a full day of Open Space with 170 staff of a school in
the south of Sweden. Now the 22 reports are posted on a wall, and they have
a week to do the voting with dots. Then we´ll meet again on the 31st to
continue convergence and do actionplans. By the way, the reports are already
in their mailbox!
Warmest regards & Good Night
Thomas Herrmann