oslist core purpose & the exchange of "ideas"

chris weaver chris at springbranch.net
Tue Mar 30 03:23:03 PST 2004

hmm.

as i read birgitt's posting and the replies, it arises for me that the free
exchange of "ideas" from this list is a value for many people, and that an
ever-widening and indiscriminate availability of what has been posted to
this list is a value for many people.  these appear to be "givens" for many
people in their understanding of what the list is and means.

noted.

oslist doesn't have a stated, agreed-upon purpose.  the FAQs describe it as
an "international mailing list" and a "lively forum" of open space
facilitators and others interested in the process.  i would suggest that as
an organization, the fact that oslist does not have a stated purpose is an
important awareness.

in my own use of Open Space Technology and other ways of opening and holding
space, the free exchange of ideas is an integrated part of what is going on.
but where do these "ideas" come from?  in face-to-face Open Space work, each
idea is born in individual passion and intensely filtered through layers of
meaning-making and personal responsibility before it is shared in the space.
and that process within individuals of refining an "idea" for sharing is
deeply influenced by the context of the Open Space, including the givens,
the theme (which relates to the purpose of the organization), the specific
people in the room, the spirit in the room, and the meaning and motion of
this meeting in the life of the organization or community.  an idea born and
refined this way is, in my experience, much more than just an idea.

in my world of Open Space, these elements are about creating sacred space
which invites in the wholeness of the people in the circle.  in my world,
the larger purpose always connects somehow to healing, integration, the
expansion of awareness, the creative collaborative move toward wholeness -
even when the theme is very practical.

if oslist's core purpose is the free and indiscriminately-available exchange
of "ideas," then so be it.  if that were the core purpose of the other Open
Space experiences i am involved in, then i reckon we'd have a digital video
camera tuned into that circle all the time and linked to the web.  we don't,
and the reasons we don't have to do with purpose.

oslist could have other core purposes.  perhaps oslist has had other core
purposes.  perhaps it does.  it is clear to me that birgitt's posting is not
about fear of the free exchange of ideas, nor is it about emotional hurt,
except in the way that vulnerability shared is always a finger pointing to
something important.  i suggest we look deeply.

with love,
chris