open_space in religious context

Jaime Pedreros Fitzgerald jpedrerosf at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 09:55:21 PST 2004

I am afraid this message was not delivered due to a mistake I made. Hope it is still on time for Andrea.

Jaime Pedreros Fitzgerald <jpedrerosf at yahoo.com> wrote:Fecha: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:35:24 -0600 (CST)
De: Jaime Pedreros Fitzgerald
Asunto: Re: open_space
A: avona at vipmail.hu

Dear Andrea,

I am a peruvian economist living and working (besides as an OST practitioner, as a teacher in general economics) in Bolivia (two neighboring countries in South America).

Let me "comment" (I am not sure if I could answer them) your questions in your same order.

It is not relevant whether participants in an OS gathering know little, much or nothing at all about it. Whatever happens is the only thing that matters and the best that could. In this regard, convenants and even stakeholders have a decisive role. Some research could be made in advance to "canvas" what would be the attitude of people at the top when OS makes to arise some topic which is not of their acceptance. Anyway, if nothing happens, it maybe that the moment, the people or the topic are not appropriate.

OS is an energizer. Most relevant characteristics are the lack of control together with strong passion and responsibility. I am sure you will receive a lot of comments in this regard. Chaos and self-organizing systems theory complement this framework like "hand in glove". Of course the "law of two feet" could be considered "dangerous" as life itself, getting a shocking contact with the real world or going into the unknown. There is only one way to know...

I have never participated with OS in a religious context... dare your self, be the first. What I can tell you is that the Catholic Church (mainly the hierarchy) would be a very conservative environment. In this connection, the selection of the theme is vital; if you focus in faith, the Bible, core teachings and something like that, I think you should be prepared for "not so encouraging results". Topics like how to assist people in need, social action and even fundraising would be a hit.

Yes we need guidance, so let OS guide everybody, mainly if the theme is not directly/closely related to beliefs and faith issues. My first experience with OS was in 2000 in an business educational organization. The general manager wanted to have the control: participants, topics, time, agenda etc. Finally it went very good: participants ignored him and did what they wanted. We had a second gathering two days later and this organization is using it widely.

There are several OS practitioners in Europe; I am sure they will assist you; there are also several web sites, but I cannot tell you about some specific site; try google with "open space technology" and open space world.

There is one more resource and it is also on the web: it is called "appreciative inquiry" which empowers people participating in an OS gathering.

Final ideas: before the universe was created, it was chaos (accoording to most religions and Greek Mythology). Ancient Greeks believed that Eros was one of the gods that made possible to organize the universe; well, Eros (for the present time) could represent passion and responsibility. You are not alone, there are almost 400 people that are ready (and willing) to share their experience and findings. You are in the right place and in the best of the worlds, Lots of luck and welcome to this space, which is always opened... 24 hrs, because it is moving...

Jaime

Visíta Yahoo! Noticias.

Visíta Yahoo! Noticias.