Systems Thinking

Robyn pov at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 2 20:54:56 PST 2004

Hello folks

Since we're on the topic, I'll meander a while:

re: < 'System' - a collection of elements connected to form a whole. >

I suggest that a system is a whole in which there are
connections/communications amongst elements in endless feedback loops.
And each element is a whole. How is that different to the definition
above? Fractals rather than Leggo?

For me it's an evolutionary shift, beyond a linear modification of the
status quo. To paraphrase Einstein, "If we keep doing what we've always
done, we'll keep getting what we've always got". Thinking like water (F.
Peavey). Despite our heart and mind felt intentions, our cultural and
circumstantial conditioning constrains us. Like yoga; how I understood
it when I started and how I get it now, even though I'm less flexible,
is light years apart.

"Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll
meet you there."
(from a poem by Rumi)

Similarly, Open Space is so simple at a mechanical level, yet is an
opportunity to tease our own evolution. And of course, whatever
happens.....

Joanna Macy offers Deep Ecology workshops based on systems theory
through experiential and intellectual processes towards embodiment of
the concept. Joanna's website:   www.joannamacy.net   Perhaps not the
first stop for the Treasury dude ;-)

cheers
Robyn Williams