Happy at work conference

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Fri Jun 4 04:09:18 PDT 2004

Hi Brendan

Here's a really late answer to your question about our "Happy at work
conference".

We had a really interesting program for the conference. Initially I
wanted to do it as an OS meeting, but I was pretty sure, that I wouldn't
be able to convince enough people to pay to participate in an OS-based
conference. Don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of OST and I'm convinced
that the day would've been even better in open space.

The program looked something like this:
9:00 - 12:00 Speakers
12:00 - 1:00 First workshop session
1:00 - 2:00 Lunch
2:00 - 3:00 Second workshop session
3:00 - 4:00 Third workshop session
4:00 - 5:00 Make a plan for your work-happiness
5:00 - 5:45 Final conclusion and stories

We had the CEO of Denmarks best workplace, Mads Kjaer, who spoke
toegether with Malene Nilsson of Kjaer Group (their people manager) on
what they've done to create their success story. We had a doctor, Claus
Hyldahl, who spoke of the significance and practice of health in the
workplace. We had Jesper Bove-Nielsen, the author of Corporate
Kindergarten, who talked about play and innovation at work. John Bern
talked about a simple model for happiness at work, and finally the well
known danish actor Jens Arentzen talked about his take on happiness, in
his very own style. All of this - and it wasn't even noon yet.

One of the things I'm most proud of, is our decision to make the whole
day a PowerPoint free zone. Not a single slide in existence the whole
day. And you know what: Even the speakers thanked us for it!!

Then we had workshops. Lots of workshops. Coaching, appreciative
inquiry, conversation circles, juggling, meditation, massage, health
checkups and much, much more. And the participants seemed to throw
themselves into it with abandon - especially the impro theater workshop
seemed to generat a lot of fun and initiative.

We had three sessions of workshops, and 8 workshops to choose from in
each session. The workshops were facilitated by professionals in each
field, who did this for free to promote themselves.

One very nice thing we did was to invite some professional storytellers
to tell stories. One right after lunch, and one at the end of the
conference. This was a great touch, which added a lot of fun to the
proceedings.

We also had lots of other small surprises like group callisthenics after
lunch and an impro theater group that did a short performance.

After the workshops, we gave each participant a chance to formulate a
plan for their own happiness at work, and to discuss it with the other
participants. Then it was almost 6PM, and we closed the day.

You can see photos from the conference here: http://pa.umbraco.dk/billeder

And Ole Qvist from Bigger Picture <http://biggerpicture.dk> did a visual
facilitation of the whole day, which you can see here:
http://pa.umbraco.dk/media/241/BiggerPicture_opsamling.pdf

We now know how to do such a conference, and we're doing it again next
year - or maybe sooner.

If anybody would like more info, just ask - as with everything else we
do, our thinking on making conferences is "Open Source" and we love to
share :o)

Cheers

Alex

Alexander Kjerulf