point of non-intervention

Koos de Heer koos at auryn.nl
Mon Jul 19 09:04:44 PDT 2004

Hi Raffi,

Here's another belated congratulations... And an answer to your question.
One of many I am sure.

To me, the essence of Open Space is all about reminding. Reminding people
of something they already know and can do. We all have this basic knowledge
and these basic skills. For some folks, the reminding just takes a little
more than for others. And people sometimes tend to forget bits again along
the way.

This reminding thing can be handled in many different ways. A reminder
like: "Hey you dumbo! Didn't I tell you to...!" obviously is not what we
want in Open Space. And often people need very little to be reminded. I
have people coming up to me asking whether they can do something (like
changing the time of their session, or merging two sessions, things like
that) and all I do is wait a few seconds and do nothing. In most cases,
after a few seconds, they know the answer, tell me what they ar going to do
and leave happily.

Quite often, it takes even less: just my being there, centered, conscious
of my love for this special group of people, trusting them with whatever it
is they need to do, is enough for a reminder. And at the same time, it is
much more than not being present at all.

Sometimes it takes a little more. But even if I do repeat an instruction or
offer some advice, I always keep in mind that I am not instructing people
or telling them what to do, it is just this gentle reminding process that
comes from a place of love and trust.

Just my 2 cents.

Koos de Heer

Koos de Heer