facilitator role in OST

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Sun Jul 18 07:58:44 PDT 2004

Funda -- I think you are working too hard. For myself I find that once the space is opened and the people are at work there is neither the need nor (often) the opportunity to ask a lot of questions, listen to answers or to face the reactions. If you take all that on yourself, for sure you will be exhausted. I guess it is possible when you have a realatively small group to do what you are suggesting, but once the group size goes beyond about 25 I can't imagine that you would have enough ears or eyes just to keep track, and if you tried to run all over the place --- wheew! Tired!!! But I think what we find is that if you will hold the space open (hold space) the people will do everything that is required -- and you don't have to do a thing. Actually I find that facilitting an Open Space can be a very restful occupation. There is very little to be done.

What I find most remarkable is that the people do support the facilitator. I can't tell you how it works, but when I find myself just surfing on all that energy and passion it is very exhilerating, but by no means exhausting.

So try it. I think you will like it. Just BE a lot, but do very little. And in a funny way the less you do, the beter it is for everybody.

Have fun!

Harrison