the dark side of circle practices

Colin Morley morleyc1 at btopenworld.com
Sat Jul 10 00:45:46 PDT 2004

In Community Building I am used to discussing this as the question of 'Task
and Process'.  I am very interested in the question of when in an Open Space
event to use the circle.

In Open Space we are usually working on a particular task or theme.  And
'spirit shows up'.  In Community Building (Chris you must come to a CB event
in the autumn), the circle can be an opportunity to allow some change in me
and in the group that can be independent of any task.  The goal can be just
to experience community or spirit.  As we go through pseudo community, chaos
and emptiness to community I get deep detailed learning on how others are
thinking and feeling, and on how I am thinking and feeling.

In Open Space it seems to me that the ideal is to work on the task for long
enough that people have experienced chaos, emptiness and changes in
themselves and in the group - and then a talking stick circle works well
because people are ready to listen and just 'be' as well as having a task
agenda.

Colin Morley