Please help me think this through...

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 1 14:53:07 PDT 2004

Doug:
South African colleagues of mine speak of both the benefits and the
limitations of the 'truth and reconciliation' process in South Africa. If my
recollection is correct, 'formal apologies' and other material gestures of
reconciliation came AFTER the truth telling phase. This included both an
opportunity to tell individual/familial stories and a period of more formal
research and documentation....

I do think it takes a stronger individual/country to apologize than not. I
also think that the 'strongest' are those who learn from (evolve because of,
are moved by, grow through) their own experiences, those of others and,
especially, the suffering they experience and cause. We all experience
non-peace and we all cause it, at times.

I also think that worry over vulnerability is a function of not having fully
integrated either the wonder of life or our imminent death. Safety and
security is an illusion - we're just more aware of that now and, as usual,
are seeking to control the externals conditions in our favour rather than
examine/shift our internal state(s)... It's all griefwork (at some level),
if we are alive to the ever-changing (read dying) NOW.

I'm not sure that 'warriors for peace' would start with (or insist on)
apologies. I think that Open Space 'warriors for peace' would bring together
conflicted parties around 'issues and opportunities for truth and
reconciliation' - and then hold the space for whatever emerges. I also think
that 'warriors for peace' would model holding space for the immense tensions
that arise (in fact, are already present but are likely more explicit in an
OST meeting). At most, I think they might share how the current OS
experience has grown the inner 'peace'.

My take is that we continue to beat our heads against the same old 'control
the externals' wall, when the more realistic and effective path is to make
explicit the path of internal change/control (I don't like the word
control - it doesn't fit with my experience of internal shifting but I do
acquiesce that mastering our own reactivity is paramount).

Best wishes to all on this beautiful birthday of Canada!
Glory
'If it isn't a happy ending, our story isn't over yet.'
Glory Ressler, B.A., Dip. GIT - Director
Avalon Consulting & Associates

www.edgeofavalon.com