the dark side of circle practices

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 11:57:33 PDT 2004

>From some recent experiences, I have realised that it would be jolly
useful to have some open space guidelines for circle practitioners in
the west who never quite get to open space but also believe in the
'democracy' of speak when you have the talking stick, and gong when the
group needs a timeout

The strength and weakness of circle culture (divorced from other rules
of open space) is that it takes everyone's equal right to chat about a
context to democratic extremes. I realise that this is useful where the
eldest are the most confused; but its not always useful in the case
where the youngest are the least systemicly connected either in their
own experiences or in the stories they are able to tell representing a
diversity of views (beyond that the person actually holds)

Enough said to start a conversation, or do I need to amplify?

Cheers, chris macrae