OS & Sustainabilty

scochran at leadershipresults.org scochran at leadershipresults.org
Mon Jan 26 10:13:25 PST 2004

Mike:

Congratulations, Mike on introducing Open Space to the
environmental education community in New Zealand. I'm
in full agreement about its usefulness in furthering
sustainability goals.

Toward that end, in Washington, D.C. on 10 November,
almost 100 cross-sector leaders in the sustainability
field from around the United States were convened in
Open Space. Like you, I regard myself as fortunate to
have facilitated the gathering.

Our focus was a US response to the United Nations
(UNESCO) "Decade of Education for Sustainable
Development", which begins in January 2005.

Thanks to Open Space "magic", and the caring of
commitment of the attendees, twenty-two one-hour
sessions occured over a six-hour period and an
inclusive organization was born, the "United States
Coalition for the Decade of Education for Sustainable
Development" (USCDESD).  The Coalition has been
expanding by leaps and bouncds. We've even met with and
engaged the new US Ambassador to UNESCO - Louise Oliver
- in the effort.

A description of the November Open Space, the session
results, attendees, and information about both the
Decade and the Coalition and its partners can be found
at:

http://www.NCSEonline.org/EFS/page.cfm?FID=3138

Please let me know how we can help as you move forward
in this important work.

All the Best -

Steve Cochran
Executive Director
Int'l Centre for Leadership Results,
in collaboration with Gettysburg College
Gettysburg PA 17325
717-486-4072
SCochran at LeadershipResults.org
www.LeadershipResults.org