Police

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 22 06:59:47 PST 2004

For me, I agree with Esther that
"
But examining the assumptions about a group you are about to work with,
checking them out, and being open to new information is important pre-work
(and ongoing work) for ourselves to do as consultants."

I know there is a lot of wisdom on the list about things to pay attention to
when working in various organizational cultures ie: military, police,
hospitals, social services. Specifically, there is valuable guidance that is
available about how to work with OST in a steeply bureaucratic culture and
other guidance about how to work with OST in a looser culture (the
facilitation of it is the same in either, but positioning it for maximum
success based on an authentic space differs). However, I don't think anyone
is served well when referring to generalizations about individuals within
that corporate culture ie: one of the most intuitive spiritual people I know
is a police officer and so generalizations about goal oriented etc etc about
the individuals for me takes away from the beauty that all people are people
first, no matter what role they take on.

I think the initial question about working with the police was an attempt to
get information about how to work with OST in that particular organizational
culture. As I followed the discussion on the list, I had a heart response to
the generalizations about individuals and I hoped that there were no police
officers on the list. I have experienced this inner emotional response on
this list before for the same reason.

Thanks for all the feedback and insights,
Blessings to you and to all with whom you make Genuine Contact,

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams of Dalar International Consultancy
www.dalarinternational.com

We provide inspirational and practical “how to” guidance for leaders who
want to achieve healthy and balanced organizations to produce exciting,
tangible results for the organization and for its people.

View the calendar for upcoming training in the Organizational Health and
Balance series of workshops featuring the Genuine ContactÔ program at
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html

We invite you to join the Genuine Contact list serve at
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact

Contact information for Dalar International Consultancy: Po Box 19373,
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 Raleigh, North Carolina USA
Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599

Founders of the Wellness Revolution for Organizations

Founders of the International Alliance for Mentoring

Creators of the Organizational Health and Balance series of workshops
featuring the Genuine ContactÔ program