Police

Esther . EwingChange at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 11:21:59 PST 2004

Birgitt:
I completely agree with you about the need to not characterize or  stereotype
people. Perhaps I could add a couple of thoughts...
I find that I am sometimes blindsided by assumptions I've made  about people
either because I've not examined them (the assumptions) or because  I'm
wrapped up in an unexamined fear of not measuring up.
So when I saw the postings about doing OS with police officers, I  assumed
that it came from a concern to do well rather than a bias toward police
officers or any other group. And I saw the responses as  reassurance.
I had an experience once when I was a very new consultant of  faciliation
with some Cdn armed forces folks where I felt completely intimidated  (I think
one officer meant to do it) but it taught me some valuable lessons  finding out
in advance how people would react to certain kinds of  processes. I should say
that they weren't my client. Another consultant had  called me in to
contribute to the facilitation and so I didn't have as much  influence on the overall
process as I would have if it had been my client. And  in retrospect, I can
imagine that Open Space would have worked  brilliantly.
But examining the assumptions about a group you are about to work  with,
checking them out, and being open to new information is important pre-work  (and
ongoing work) for ourselves to do as consultants.
With great respect,
Esther

Esther Ewing
The Change Alliance -  Assisting Individuals and Organizations to Build
Capability
_www.ChangeAlliance.com_ (http://www.changealliance.com/)
330 East  38th St, Suite 53K
New York, NY 10016-9804
212-661-6024

Authorized  Distributor, Panoramic Feedback
_www.panoramicfeedback.com_ (http://www.panoramicfeedback.com/)