Question RE Using Open Space for Staff Meetings

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 17 16:55:46 PST 2004

Hi Jennifer,
You might be interested in reading some information on the Conscious Open
Space Organization at http://www.openspacetechnology.com/articles_2.html In
the work we do, we have found that to go into short OST meetings without a
long one first does not work very well. It simply results in self managed
meetings but with no real open space for creativity, wonder, imagination and
so on to flourish. However, when we start an organization with a long OST
meeting ie: a retreat of 2-2 1/2 days and they engage in the real feeling
and power of being in Open Space (using the vehicle of a good OST meeting to
get to that feeling and that quality with no name), then short meetings seem
to work. The biggest challenge is in between the OST meetings. First, so
much information gets generated at the meetings, so much passion gets
stirred up, and so many actionable items are identified that groups often
get frustrated in figuring out how to move it all forward in the
organization (definitely felt after the 3rd or 4th meeting). The second
challenge is finding a way to be congruent with OST during the times between
the meetings.

Sometimes groups end up being really frustrated if they are not prepared for
what might happen because there is a huge shift in everything that takes
place, beginning with a lot of disatisfaction. I like to let the groups that
I am working with know that if they get started on frequent OST meetings
that everything might change. As a consultant, I have knowledge of the power
of OST and its interface with the greater Open Space. I feel that I have an
ethical responsibility to provide as much information as I can that this is
about more than just doing meetings in OST but is about BIG and
unpredicatable change. I am a strong advocate of the Conscious Open Space
Organization so I certainly love it when people inform themselves and then
say YES.

Blessings to you and to all with whom you make Genuine Contact,
Birgitt
Birgitt Williams of Dalar International Consultancy
www.dalarinternational.com <http://www.dalarinternational.com>
We provide inspirational and practical “how to” guidance for leaders who
want to achieve healthy and balanced organizations to produce exciting,
tangible results for the organization and for its people.
View the calendar for upcoming training in the Organizational Health and
Balance series of workshops featuring the Genuine ContactÔ program at
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html
<http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html>
We invite you to join the Genuine Contact list serve at
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact
<http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact>
Contact information for Dalar International Consultancy: Po Box 19373,
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 Raleigh, North Carolina USA
Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599
Founders of the Wellness Revolution for Organizations
Founders of the International Alliance for Mentoring
Creators of the Organizational Health and Balance series of workshops
featuring the Genuine ContactÔ program