Properties of circles

Therese Fitzpatrick theresefitz at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:06:52 PST 2004

A big, big thank you Alexander for the ellipse.  I was thinking 'what about
an ellipse?", my favorite form but didn't want to sound uninformed (code for
stupid!).

I'm not a mathemetician but I am interested in seeing shapes that mirror
shapes we see in nature.  We do see circles and squares in a few natural
forms, we do see a few 'straight' lines but in nature the 'organic' shape is
more elliptical.  I'm trying to envision what kind of structure would hold
an organization that operates AS an open space organization.  I apologize if
I am inviting a discussion that long time members of this list have already
had. . . BUT I'd like to hear folks play with the idea of shape as a model
for an open space organization.  My instinct has been telling me it is an
ellipse and I haven't voiced this thought with the group I am working with
to define what kind of vessel would hold an open space organization but I
keep whispering ellipse to myself.

If anyone is going to be generous and share their thinking about shape of os
org, I invite you to also think about what a decision making/communication
structure would look like that aspires to be open space.  It is pretty easy
for me to see a five person os organization, I can still see ten person,
twenty.  But thinking abundantly let's imagine this new venture is very
successful and has 100 members with five income-producing projects and 100+
different levels of ownership interest (some investors do not actively work
in my imaginary organization so processes, I think, need to be clear for
accountability) .  And, if you are still thinking about my invitation,
remember that it is open space 365 days a year and livelihoods are at stake
and what would an os that lasted five years look like.

Just having fun thinking and welcome any thoughts.

Thanks for the ellipse.

>From: Alexander Kjerulf <alexander at KJERULF.COM>
>To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>Subject: Re: Properties of circles
>Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:50:50 +0100
>
>Thanks Joelle for the image of table-deprived engineers trying to cover
>their balls. This one goes in my story-chest.
>
>Thinking back on the many OS meetings I've been a part of, it is
>actually rarely that we've been sitting in a circle. At OSonOS in
>Denmark we had this huge barn to meet in, so there we sat in a perfect
>(and huge) circle, but for instance at the Practice of Peace in Seattle,
>the shape we sat in was more of a square with rounded edges.
>
>And this reminds me of another very pleasing shape, namely the super
>ellipse which is a cross between an ellipse and a square. It was
>invented by a french mathematician and popularized by Piet Hein, who
>used in designing tables, stadiums, roundabouts, buildings and much
>else. You can find the mathematical definition here:
>http://www.2dcurves.com/power/powerse.html
>
>Here's what Piet Hein himself had to say about that shape:
>/Man is the animal that draws lines which he himself then stumbles over.
>In the whole pattern of civilization there have been two tendencies, one
>toward straight lines and rectangular patterns and one toward circular
>lines. There are reasons, mechanical and psychological, for both
>tendencies. Things made with straight lines fit well together and save
>space. And we can move easily -- physically or mentally -- around things
>made with round lines. But we are in a straitjacket, having to accept
>one or the other, when often some intermediate form would be better. To
>draw something freehand -- such as the patchwork traffic circle they
>tried in Stockholm -- will not do. It isn't fixed, isn't definite like a
>circle or square. You don't know what it is. It isn't esthetically
>satisfying. The super-ellipse solved the problem. It is neither round
>nor rectangular, but in between. Yet it is fixed, it is definite -- it
>has a unity./ -- Piet Hein
>
>Cheers
>
>Alex
>
>Alexander Kjerulf
>alexander at kjerulf.com
>www.kjerulf.com
>+45 2688 2373
>
>Adress:
>Tagensvej 126, lejl. 613
>2200, Copenhagen N
>Denmark
>

>Joelle Lyons Everett wrote:
>
>>The circle brings many benefits--not the least is that it is a very
>>ancient
>>way for people to gather, and so brings energy gathered through the aeons.
>>
>>I think creating a circle bounds the gathering, helps to focus on the
>>theme,
>>creates a container that give participants a sense both of safety and of
>>awe.
>>I remember reading in the newspaper a few years back about a planned
> [...]

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime