Properties of circles

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Sun Jan 11 00:50:50 PST 2004

Thanks Joelle for the image of table-deprived engineers trying to cover
their balls. This one goes in my story-chest.

Thinking back on the many OS meetings I've been a part of, it is
actually rarely that we've been sitting in a circle. At OSonOS in
Denmark we had this huge barn to meet in, so there we sat in a perfect
(and huge) circle, but for instance at the Practice of Peace in Seattle,
the shape we sat in was more of a square with rounded edges.

And this reminds me of another very pleasing shape, namely the super
ellipse which is a cross between an ellipse and a square. It was
invented by a french mathematician and popularized by Piet Hein, who
used in designing tables, stadiums, roundabouts, buildings and much
else. You can find the mathematical definition here:
http://www.2dcurves.com/power/powerse.html

Here's what Piet Hein himself had to say about that shape:
/Man is the animal that draws lines which he himself then stumbles over.
In the whole pattern of civilization there have been two tendencies, one
toward straight lines and rectangular patterns and one toward circular
lines. There are reasons, mechanical and psychological, for both
tendencies. Things made with straight lines fit well together and save
space. And we can move easily -- physically or mentally -- around things
made with round lines. But we are in a straitjacket, having to accept
one or the other, when often some intermediate form would be better. To
draw something freehand -- such as the patchwork traffic circle they
tried in Stockholm -- will not do. It isn't fixed, isn't definite like a
circle or square. You don't know what it is. It isn't esthetically
satisfying. The super-ellipse solved the problem. It is neither round
nor rectangular, but in between. Yet it is fixed, it is definite -- it
has a unity./ -- Piet Hein

Cheers

Alex

Alexander Kjerulf