Properties of circles

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 17:14:23 PST 2004

The circle brings many benefits--not the least is that it is a very ancient
way for people to gather, and so brings energy gathered through the aeons.

I think creating a circle bounds the gathering, helps to focus on the theme,
creates a container that give participants a sense both of safety and of awe.
I remember reading in the newspaper a few years back about a planned
gathering in Seattle--I think a demonstration or protest of some sort.  The article
named a tribal elder and shaman who had come to the site every day for a week
before, and walked prayerfully around the entire geographical space included in
the proposed march.  I often remember this story when I am preparing to
facilitate Open Space.

The circle truly does put people in a position of equality, and participants
sense this right away, with or without mention.  I usually invite the sponsor
to open the space from the center of the circle, if he or she is willing.
They feel a bit awkward or vulnerable, and this feels just right.

As for getting rid of tables, I still chuckle over the report of a friend,
who years ago was beginning to have engineering problem-solving groups meet in a
circle, without a table.  I asked him how that was going.  "It's really
funny," he replied, to stand in the center and watch all these guys trying to cover
their balls."

My 2 cents' worth--

Joelle