Micro Open Space

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 21:04:58 PST 2004

Chris--

Sorry for jumping so late into this conversation.  I've facilitated a few
Open Space conferences with ten or fewer people, and one to three days in length.
 I did not make any particular changes in what I do (except have a translator
for the one in Russian).  The group decides whether to meet as a "committee
of the whole" or divide into smaller groups--usually some combination of the
two--it is indeed self-organizing and self-managing.

I have used the exact process that Alexander describes for setting the agenda
for meetings that follow an Open Space conference in an organization.  It is
a different dynamic than writing the agenda up on one sheet of paper, and the
group decides whatto address first.  Some topics which are not addressed
directly are handled in other discussions, and any which are left unfinished are
carried over to the next meeting.

Working in a conventional "facilitator" role, I feel the need to re-design
for every different kind of meeting.  But when what is wanted is self-organiz
ation, OST is a simple and effective way to allow people to self-organize.  And I
bill the client anyway.

Joelle