OS Research Event

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Tue Jan 6 06:44:41 PST 2004

Dear Community of Practice:

We had some fascinating and invigorating discussions in Toronto on
November 28-30 with regard to Collaborative Research into Open Space,
Self-Organization and Emergence.  I have now put the OS Reports from the
event up on the OSI Canada website at
www.openspacecanada.org/CRReports.htm .

It took a little while to sort out what happened at the close, which
might be of interest to all.  The event was sponsored by Ryerson
University, OSI Canada and HH Owen.  There were some great discussions
from my perspective and from others as well.  A couple of folks who came
were clearly into a traditional "research" paradigm.  They did not want
their names to be part of any public reports of the event.  Nor did we
think to articulate at the beginning the "given" that the OS reports
would be put on the OSI Canada web site.  (Now we know.)  So, we just
needed to be sure that everything was clear before we put up the
reports.  They are now posted without some names.  It did raise the
interesting question of any "research" -- who owns the "data"?  It has
been posted for a little while, but I thought I would wait until now to
announce it.

There will be more to come on this.  Pat Sniderman at Ryerson is likely
hosting some ongoing conversations on the issues that emerged.  A couple
of groups have decided to pursue their ideas after the event and will
likely share them with the larger "community of practice" in the near
future.

We have some great stories about our perceptions of the impact of OST
such as the recent one from Nigeria.  Truly exciting!  That is certainly
one kind of "evidence".  There are other kinds of "evidence" as well
from all 4 quadrants.  I am finding it interesting at this point to
explore how we might collect and get other forms of evidence out there.
I think there are some next ideas on this in the reports.  (A couple of
the pictures seem to "move" when put on the web, I hope I have corrected
that well enough.)

Happy New Year.

Larry

Larry Peterson