coping with drug use

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 3 08:44:28 PST 2004

Dear Avner,
during the 90's we had many many OST meetings with two different groups of
youth in the inner city. One group were what are referred to as 'street
youth'. The other group were new immigrant youth generally from war torn
countries. In both cases, drugs/gangs/violence were significant complex and
apparently hopeless issues. We didn't have much success engaging the youth
in discussions until we started having OST meetings. We then had a lot of
success in keeping the youth talking with us,  bringing their concerns to
us, and so on as a result of the OST meetings and the follow up we did from
those meetings.

The professionals in the community were involved in the OST meetings and
often were really challenged by the youth to change their way of doing this
as professionals to help the youth.

We used the OST to reach the youth in a different way as a collective
instead of one to one approaches. We did not use the OST as a program to get
youth off of drugs. However, from the OST meetings, several youth made
decisions to change their lifestyles, developing the will to get themselves
out of gangs and off of drugs and so on. We then linked the youth up with
professionals and services that could best help them with this specialty
area. We referred youth to the 12 step programs including Alcoholics
Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous, both of which as you probably know have a
good chance of really being helpful with addictions. The OST meetings were
1. a gateway to development of the will on the part of some youth to make
changes and 2. provided guidance to professionals and to the youth
themselves of different ways of support.

Blessings to you and to all with whom you make Genuine Contact,

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams of Dalar International Consultancy
www.dalarinternational.com

We provide inspirational and practical “how to” guidance for leaders who
want to achieve healthy and balanced organizations to produce exciting,
tangible results for the organization and for its people.

View the calendar for upcoming training in the Organizational Health and
Balance series of workshops featuring the Genuine Contact? program at
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html

We invite you to join the Genuine Contact list serve at
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact

Contact information for Dalar International Consultancy: Po Box 19373,
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 Raleigh, North Carolina USA
Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599

Founders of the Wellness Revolution for Organizations

Founders of the International Alliance for Mentoring

Creators of the Organizational Health and Balance series of workshops
featuring the Genuine Contact? program