Practice of Peace in Sweden--A reflection on the Issue

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Tue Dec 14 13:59:34 PST 2004

Hi

As Chris wrote, we all carry peace in us - that's true. And as Judy
wrote it's probably also true, that there won't be world peace any time
soon. The thing I've been asking myself while I followed this discussion
here is: Is a world entirely without war even desirable? This is at face
value an outrageous proposition, so let me explain.

We cause wars. Us people. Something in us, some desires, tendencies,
needs, whatever, makes us do the things that start and perpetuate wars.
If we didn't have those sides to our nature, there would be no wars. But
here's the question: If we didn't have those sides to our natures, what
else would we be losing? As Tom Waits sings it: "If I exorcise my
devils, well my angels may leave too". Our drive for destruction also
drives much in arts, science, music and life in general that would not
otherwise be possible. Is it worth the price? I don't know!

Existentialist philosophy has something to say on this topic. From the
(excellent) book "Freedom and accountability at work
<http://www.positivesharing.com/journal/00000173.htm>" comes this overview:
/Freedom is a fact of our existing world
As inevitably as the existence of our freedom, we are forced to
experience and confront:
* Death of others, first, and the anticipation of our own, next
* Evil which exists because all persons are free, and it will not go
away; it is not solvable
And most importantly - and this is the unique insight of philosophy -
these experiences are what give meaning and character; they are not
negatives or failures that a healthy person should move beyond.

/And later the book states that:

    * /Evil is completely unacceptable/
    * /Evil is completely real/
    * /To be human is to struggle against evil/
    * /The struggle against evil gives meaning to life/
    * /Our posture towards evil is freely chosen and we are fully
      responsible for it/

There's a paradox here, in that we work against evil which is something
that we can never rid ourselves of, and we must accept this paradox in
order to work effectively for peace. Part of this acceptance means
acknowledging - and even appreciating - those aspects of our selves that
drive us to war.

Cheers

Alex

Alexander Kjerulf