Practice of Peace in Sweden--A reflection on the Issue

Anu Parmar anuparmar at scastrategies.com
Sun Dec 5 15:40:21 PST 2004

Therese wrote
"I want to ask you, Paul, to share with us how you think we might
> encourage evolution into different states of being but I venture to
> guess that I already know at least part of your answer.  Open space."
" Hold fast to visions of peace.  What else can we do?"

More than envisioning peace, WE CAN:
-    START the change within OURSELVES first.  Every thought of conflict we
have within ourselves, our families, our neighbours, our work and everything
else in     the concentric circles of life - we disrupt and unsettle the
peaceful state of our environment.  We ARE 'them', the 'society'.  With 6
billion of us walking around disrupting the peace in our own little worlds,
is it really any wonder when it all froths into the big nuclear mushrooms
hanging over our heads. And then we all look up at the horror, point our
fingers to him, her, it and them and say you did it.  We are 'they'.

-    FACILITATE the emergence of peace first within ourselves - that is the
toughest to do - but that is the only way we ourselves emerge into a
different 'state of being'.  What I mean by this is; truly living an 'open
space' life (far beyond just our jobs of OS Facilitators). For me 'Open
Space' living is allowing ourselves the space in which we experiences all -
good, bad and ugly - digest what we need, gently put aside what we don't
(without judgements, biases, bitterness, superiority or inferiority
complexes, prejudices et al).   Resisting the temptations to 'help' the poor
souls who don't get it.  this kind of help assumes a position of us being
the enlightened and them being the ignorant.  All we should do is 'share'
our joy of times when we were able to overcome the 'battle in ourselves
between Mine and Thine'.  The more we practice the 'all oneness' and resist
the 'myness and yourness' - the better we will get at it - individually and
bit by bit collectively.

                The wise old Chief said to his grandson ' there are two
immortal wolves in our hearts always ferociously fighting each other.
                One wolf is called "I like to" and the other is called "I
should".  Grandson says "Grandfather, which one wins?.
                The wise old Chief answers "The one we feed the most, wins."

-    LIVE IT.  Imagine if each of us, in our own circles, deeply and truly
became champions of peace?  What a world that would be.  A true story: A
friend of mine's daughter just started university in London.  One evening
she received an email from the Uni's Student group announcing their annual
fundraising event traditionally a 'cream pie-throwing' party.  Apparently
thousands come out and it is the big thing on campus.  When she read it, she
instinctively responded (without much debate or analysis) that she would
love to attend except for the fact with half the world dying of hunger,
throwing food at each other for fun seemed inhumane.   She thought nothing
further of this until she received a reply from the Student body thanking
her for her insight (they'd never thought about this before), party will
still go on but effective immediately the cream pies will be replaced with
shaving creams and stringers etc..  All it took was one person's conscience
and ACTION to change thousands of minds.  No debates, forums, academic
dialogues - just simply doing it.

Paul writes:  "Which leads me to the despairing question:  Is peace even
possible??  Are
> > we wasting our time talking about it or even trying to  practice it?

I believe peace is possible only to the extent we feed which one of the
wolves in our hearts (see above story) - when we feed the "I like to"
(subjective RIGHTS) then peace will be fragile and will be shattered.  When
we feed the "I should" (objective selfless DUTY) then we begin to restore
peace again.  Peace is not a destination, an Eden where once you reach
there - that's it, all's well.  Peace is like the climate - monsoon rains,
desert heat, polar colds, warm summers, thunders, tornadoes, gentle
breezes - ever changing in intensity, expanse, strength depending on the
movements of the earth and its environment.  Peace depends on movements of
our thoughts and actions - individually then collectively - which wolf we
feed the most.

Every time an issue of conflict came up I would like to ask the parties,
each in turn, two questions:
 Regarding "........(what ever the issue is)......"
(1) what would you 'like' to do?  (subjective approach)
(2) what do you think you 'should' do? (objective approach)

As they hear their own answers to these questions, I'm sure the
rights/wrongs, do's/don'ts and much more will reveal surface.
In the words of Henry David Thoreau "simplify, simplify,simplify."
Perhaps, asking simple, real simple questions would help to untangle the
complex webs that we weave.

I'm sure if we were to ask all the people at war for generations, all over
the world, exactly what are you fighting for, I bet you 95% of the people
don't even know WHY anymore.  They're just doing it because that's what they
have been doing for ever, since the time of their father, grandfather and
great grand pa!

.....rather long piece on peace...got me going!

Anu Parmar
SCA Strategies Inc
anuparmar at scastrategies.com