'art of provocative questioning'

Johann Borquez johannborquez at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 03:51:05 PST 2004

The 'art of provocative questioning' recalls me of the practices of ontological coaching... when I read at was has been written under this thread, I realize that most of us face a similar challenge: overcoming the fear of "losing control". Management fears the opinion of subordinates and clients. Why? That is THE real question for me: Why do you fear what others have to say about you/your organization? I feel that, at least, part of the answer may be found through ontological coaching (aka executive coaching), a discipline that uses questioning as a way for the coachee to "realize" what is going on with her/him, the others; and also introduces an interesting definition: to see others as "clients", it is, to see oneself as a node in a network of conversations, were everyone has commitments (tasks to be done in a certain time with a certain standard of satisfaction defined with the client). To be effective, one has to be capable of "hear the client", it is, to articulate even those
 needs that the client isn't aware of, not to speak of those that the client can articulate by herself. Open Space Technology is a wonderful oportunity for people/organizations to "hear its clients", internal and external, and to: get praise, get ideas, get complaints (precious stuff that helps us improve and that is oh-so difficult to get right) and get commited. I think there is a VERY strong link between Ontology of Language and OST.