Quitting the paint factory

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Tue Dec 14 12:46:22 PST 2004

Hi

There's a beautiful essay in the November 2004 issue of Harper's
magazine about the value of doing nothing. Here's an appetizer:

When I was young, my parents read me Aesop's fable of "The Ant and the
Grasshopper," wherein, as everyone knows, the grasshopper spends the
sum­mer making music in the sun while the ant toils with his fellow
formicidae. Inevitably, winter comes, as winters will, and the
grasshopper, who hasn’t planned ahead and who doesn't know what a 401K
is, has run out of luck. When he shows up at the ants' door, carrying
his fiddle, the ant asks him what he was doing all year: "I was singing,
if you please," the grasshopper replies, or something to that effect.
"You were singing?" says the ant. "Well, then, go and sing." And perhaps
because I sensed, even then, that fate would someday find me holding a
violin or a manuscript at the door of the ants, my antennae frozen and
my hills overdue, I confounded both Aesop and my well-meaning parents,
and bore away the wrong moral. That summer, many a wind­blown
grasshopper was saved from the pond, and many an anthill inundat­ed
under the golden rain of my pee.

You can find the entire essay here:
http://web.ionsys.com/~remedy/Quitting%20The%20Paint%20Factory.htm

It speaks to many of the themes in OST, as one of the few tools that
explicitly values inaction as a tool for change.

Cheers

Alex

Alexander Kjerulf
alexander at kjerulf.com