ethics and OST

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Aug 31 05:31:50 PDT 2004

It strikes me that Raffi's list is less about OS than personal preference. We certainly all have to make our choices, but personally I would not have any problem opening space for the folks mentioned. Indeed, I think I already have, and in fact I have done the same with organizations that might seem infinitely worse. My reasons are several fold. First, it has been my experience that in Open Space the strangest sorts of people begin to treat each other with respect, find that integrity and authenticity are not only  useful, but actually feel good (despite any immediate pain), begin to experience their world as an infinitely connected place -- and not their private domain. And much more.  From where I sit, these sorts of learnings are invaluable if we are to have a less toxic, fearful and destructive world. Most important, these are "experiences of" and not "words about" -- and experience beats words/precepts/admonitions every day of the week. A second reason I would not hesitate to open space for such folks is that I don't really believe that the space is ours to give or withhold. It belongs to everybody already. I know that folks have and will thank me for a gift -- but in truth it is a gift they already possess, and if I have done anything, it is only to remind them of that fact. In a word, I can't really think of any situation where I would not open space given the opportunity.

The oppportunity to open space for some group is for me a profound honor and privilege. But not all opportunities are appropriate for me. If I find that my personal space is closed as far as that group or organization is concerned -- for whatever reason -- I can't really do the job. And continuing under those circumstances would be, in my judgement, a major violation of principle, not mention ethics! Reduced to its simplest terms, the fundamental question for me is -- Is the space really open? And if not, is there a reasonable possibility to Space might be opened. If my space is closed, I am obviously not the person for the job , although somebody else might be. And if the space is closed in an organization by official dictate uttered by the superior Control Freak -- there is not too much room to work in. And worse yet, if it becomes clear that the interest in Open Space is just another word for control -- well. . .

Harrison