One day in OS without notes??

Jeff Aitken tzimtzum at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 18:11:14 PDT 2004

Phil,

I'm reminded of a 6 hour OST event with a San Francisco neighborhood planning group who invited neighbors to offer input into a city planning process. During the opening circle I always say that "taking responsibility" for your topic includes seeing to it that good notes are generated. In this case, I invited them to bring back recommendations that could be put into a report to be given to the city. I suggested that they might try to agree on recommendations during their sessions, rather than come out with a long list of brainstorm items without agreement.

In three periods of breakout sessions, participants generated high quality conversations which were captured in the breakout groups on flipchart paper. In some cases these included architectural drawings and aerial photographs! These were all taped to the walls for others to see during the day.

During the closing circle, representatives from each group came to the front to briefly go over their recommendations with the whole group. I then took home the flip papers and supporting documents, and typed up a draft report for the neighborhood planning group to edit into their recommendations to the city, and distribute to participants.

I don't mind doing such typing, esp for a short event, a day or less; it took a few hours. And I often invite people to capture their proceedings on flipchart paper in a way that can be understood and used by others -- often this means NOT verbatim transcripts of the session.

Jeff Aitken
California