Unintend Consequences, Collateral Damage and Truth Telling

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 18:43:32 PDT 2004

--- Lisa Heft <lilisaheftpopeningspaceet> wrote:
 Harrison- I totally 'got' that you were fully engaged, and also
knowing you and having seen you work I know that you would have found
just the right way to say what you were doing without in any way
leveraging it or implying anything by it.  I also feel that people in
the circle would have by the words you chose felt your engagement even
in the act of temporarily leaving the circle.  I see it as an
invitation that you made (offering, not withdrawing)...

What jumps out at me is that Harrision's leaving speaks to the heart of
Open Space...the act of leaving for a bit REQUIRES the PARTICIPANTS to
draw on their sense of RESPONSIBILITY and PASSION to determine what
will happen.  Contrast that situation to all of those times you've
witnessed (suffered through) when a facilitator/consultant chased their
tail in an attempt to "get to go!" and in the end was "blamed" for NOT
fixing the conflict etc. The facilitator owned the outcome!

Need for this element (re-opening) of facilitation skill maybe rare but
it is TOTALLY in concert with "Telling the Truth" and "Letting It Go".
And that my friends is true Open Space.  Harrision, thanks a bunch for
opening this up.

=====
Elwin Guild
Future Development International