Unintend Consequences, Collateral Damage and Truth Telling

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Sat Aug 21 13:05:23 PDT 2004

Dear Harrison,
my thoughts: I suspect that there is no alternative to leaving the
circle or to step back...I further suspect that anything one might do
with or to the people gathered (even though the urge might be
overwhelming) will tend to shrink the space for the forces of
selforganisation to do their thing.
Still, for me its one of the most draining things to step
back...everytime I manage to do it, it agitates me to no end.
Thanks for telling the story
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:55:23 -0400, Harrison Owen wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C4876D.5BD690F0
>
>One of the earmarks of any good Open Space (and I've never seen a bad =
>one) is that Truth is spoken. It may be the sort of truth that manifests =
>when professional colleagues honestly and authentically access the =
>relative merits of particular approaches to a given issue -- not on the =
>basis of who invented it, but rather the likelihood of success =
>regardless of authorship. More than occasionally it is also the sort of =
>deep truth that everybody knows, but all are in fear of uttering. There =
>is a reason for this fear, for when the truth is out in its wholeness, =
>including the ugly parts -- it must be dealt with, and that act will =
>exact a price in terms of pain and general disruption. Say what you will =
>about the positive and cathartic effects of telling (facing) the truth =
>-- it always seems to bloody well hurt.=20
>
>There have been multiple examples of this sort of thing in my journey in =
>Open Space, but two in particular stand out for me. The first was the =
>occasion when I was privileged to open space for the 50 Palestinians and =
>Israelis in Rome two years ago. I have told this story before and you =
>can find the details on www.openspaceworld.com if you want. Basically =
>these individuals came together (in the words of the conference theme) =
>to consider the issues and opportunities for ending the cycle of =
>violence in the Middle East. And in order to do that, it was necessary =
>to face that cycle of violence in all of its grim reality un-protected =
>by facile excuses and distribution of blame. To their great credit the =
>participants did just that. And it quite literally took their breath =
>away. It had been our intention to move from general discussion (two =
>days) to action planning on the third day -- but all of that seemed =
>rather a pointless exercise, at least until breath returned.
>
>This past week I found my self in a similar space. I had been asked to =
>work with the CEOs of the affiliates of a large American Non-Profit, The =
>history of this organization is impressive, and its work is well known =
>and often dangerous.For almost 70 years, these people have been at the =
>cutting edge of social reform and service to people who might not =
>otherwise be served. Not unlike other institutions of a similar age, it =
>had grown bureaucratic and rigid with multiple fiefdoms all protected =
>with jealous zeal. The flash point had come at the interface of the =
>National organization and the local affiliates and the atmosphere was =
>toxic and destructive. Everybody knew it, but nobody would name it =
>except in the back corridors and dark corners. To do so would seem to =
>provide comfort to the multiple oppositions and thereby jeopardize the =
>all important mission. In Open Space the unspeakable was spoken, and =
>once again it seemed that oxygen had been sucked out of the room.=20

> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

125 Berliner open space-Veranstaltungen von 12 BegleiterInnen in 16 verschiedenen Bereichen:
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der 153-köpfigen E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.

Schaut mal in die neue Open Space World Map, seit dem 17.8.2004 online
www.openspaceworldmap.org