Pro bono work

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Aug 9 10:16:07 PDT 2004

Hello, all -

I have been working on a project and woefully silent on this end, though
I've been reading all of everyones' fabulous posts, and thank you.

Phil, you asked about doing pro bono (volunteer / unpaid) work.

I just wanted to share that I no longer do any pro bono work at all.  I
always tell everyone (they are all 'clients' to me) what my day rate is,
how many days it could take and so on.  I say if they can afford the big
bucks (American slang for 'money') then I thank them for doing so -- and
if they cannot afford that, what is the most they can possibly afford?
I really have to coach those folks with small budgets to stay in the
conversation and let me know how much they can afford, because they are
worried I won't get enough.  I remind them that if I just worked for
those with big bucks I'd have missed out on working with some incredible
partners.  And so on.

I find that even folks with very small budgets find a way to gather some
money together, pay for my expenses, help a lot on their end, and so on.
I will still do the same amount of work, no matter for a large budget or
small.  But I find that it is worth the exchange of money to honor not
just the fact that it's my business, but it's their business, too.

My two (actual) cents,

Lisa

________________________________

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e
2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106   USA
+01 510 548-8449
 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net
 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: