Seeking Feedback

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Mon Aug 2 09:03:49 PDT 2004

a bit more here, joe, to not that i wasn't thinking in terms of 'demo'
...you'd have to have a something real to work on.  if only a demo then
i too use the video route harrison's mapped out.  i've had some good
luck with hybrids, better it seems than harrison, though they are never
as satisfying as the whole group and the whole time and the whole space
open.  in the end, a group can only get out of any of these options what
they are willing to put into it up front... what space they are willing
to open.  i find the trick or challenge for me is over and over again
not trying to make more space than they really have, than there really
is, in them... to point to what is there already, stretch it a bit
perhaps, sweep some stray pieces together into a bit bigger space maybe,
but not try to make in open for them.  my three and a half cents.   m

Harrison Owen wrote:

>I would guess that many have tried and very few succeeded. Doing a "demonstration" OS is a loser mostly because there is usually little passion and responsibility -- the usual reaction is "Is that all their is?"  As for OS in the context of a larger meeting (one track sort of thing) -- I have tried it on several occasions -- none of them happily. When faced with the sort of situation (opportunity?) you describe, I will show a video (the USWEST video is great) and take questions. All prefaced with a little history (Been around for 20 years, 50,000+ iterations, now 93 countries etc)
>
>Harrison
>

>--
>Harrison Owen
>7808 River Falls Dr.
>Potomac, MD 20854
>301-365-2093
>Website www.openspaceworld.com

>I'm wondering if anybody has experience with:
>1. Doing a 1hour intro of OS at the beginning of a larger non OS conference to give people a taste for OS, eg as one approach which might be taken at future conferences.
>2. Having OS as one Workshop option at a Conference - so people could choose to do traditional workshops or engage in a 2 or 4 hour OS.
>Thanks for any input.
>Joe Bowers
>The Centre for Success, Health & Happiness
>p: (612) 9858 1569
>m: 0403 395 488
>joe at successandhappiness.com.au
>www.successandhappiness.com.au
>
>* * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist
>
>*
>*
>
>To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:
>http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates