Mergers and acquisitions?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Apr 27 13:35:41 PDT 2004

Douke Oostenbrink wrote:

> As consultant I was asked how to handle this. All workers were highly
> educated professionals and it does not work to tell them what to do. We
> agreed to an OS for both workers of the university and the profit
> organization. There were more than 300 participants. After the
> introduction I had to get out of their way. Passion and responsability -
> it worked so well. All frustrations about the merge that was not choosen
> by the workers were mentioned but in a very supportive way. Because in
> OS there is no resistance - it is only a way of showing their their
> deepest concern and when put your trust in the simple question: what is
> your passion and do you want to take the responsability for it - then as
> consultant you do not have to interfere. That day people who were very
> opposite to each other spoke to eachother and shared their concern and
> this was a really sharing (perhaps for the first time). That day meant a
> shift and a huge accelleration in the merging proces.

I want to pay particular attention to Douke's words here...a very
significant observation: "in OS there is no resistance."  Open space
just keeps opening, and so it can accommodate more and more passion and
responsibility, even two whole companies' worth.

There may be some resistance in the small groups, but there is always a
place to go and the responsibility rests with each individual to go there.

Thanks for this Douke.  It is the simple reminders of the powerful
dynamics of OST that help keep me grounded.

Chris