Talking sticks and listening sticks

Phil Culhane pculhane at magma.ca
Tue Apr 27 05:56:26 PDT 2004

Thank you, Harrison, for another wonderful idea (see below).

Anyone care to suggest what kind of stick they use? I have seen stylized talking sticks
and have always shied away from them in favour of a simple piece of wood, though I've
always used dead wood. The idea of using a live (or perhaps "freshly killed") branch off
an evergreen (as Harrison suggests below) is a new idea to me. An olive branch sounds
like it has potential (since we're being symbolic with the "talking stick" in the first
place, why not use an olive branch?). I've often thought of a freshly cut magnolia
branch, in flower.

As much as it's not about the physical branch itself, it is. In my experience, women will
shy away from the talking stick, particularly if it is stylized to appear even more
phallic than a bare branch (in my experience). In my experience also, many people will
find it "hokey" or "mystical" or "so much pixie dust" if there's any artifice attached to
the stick.

In short, I've always stuck to a 12-16" long piece of dead, usually barkless wood from a
deciduous tree, usually maple (because they're easy to find near my house, no other
significance). What has anyone else used, what has been your experience; what have you
found "useful"?

Thx for any comments you care to offer.
Phil Culhane

On Apr 27, "Harrison Owen" <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

> I think the key is not what you call it, but how you introduce it.
> Historically, it is a "Talking Stick" so I don't think you can change that
> (but then again, why not?) -- Anyhow, when I introduce it I say something
> like "This is a Talking Stick. Whoever holds it may speak. Those who do not
> will listen. In either case, talking or listening will be done with
> respect." That said, everything seems to work out just like usual. And for
> whatever it is worth, I personally prefer a living branch (usually
> evergreen). A stick always seems a little on the dead side and more than a
> little male (not to say phallic). A fresh evergreen (pine, cedar) is softer,
> and has the added benefit of having sap, which when warmed by many hands
> runs a bit and smells good. In Rome, with the Israelis and Palestinians, I
> used an Olive Branch. I was worried that it might be a little over the top,
> but I guess I shouldn't have. Certainly made the point and did the job.
>
> Harrison
>
> Harrison Owen
> 7808 River Falls Drive
> Potomac, Maryland   20845
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
> Personal website <a
href='http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen/index.htm'>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen
/index.htm</a>
> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit:
> <a
href='http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html'>http://listserv.boisestate.edu/
archives/oslist.html</a>