magic can be messy

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 16:40:24 PDT 2004

Raffi--

I've not tried using storytelling as a prelude to OS.   For some other types
of meetings it seems useful; for Open Space I usually would like the stories
in the OS itself, because they carry a lot of emotional energy that helps to
bond a group together and gives some momentum toward action.   This is my own
peculiar prejudice.

I also don't usually do skills training pre-OS.   One of my clients decided
her staff needed help ahead of time, and provided a workshop--my feeling at the
time was that her feeling the group needed help probably did as much harm as
the workshop did good.

Re: action planning, I think there may be some cultural difference.
Americans often go straight to action, maybe without always giving the issue enough
real thought and discussion.    On the continuum between discussion and action,
my limited experience is that Russians and others from the former Soviet
Union do very well on discussion and visions, but don't find planning specific
action as comfortable.   Could be related to all those years that the average
person was not often allowed to take responsibility for implementing their own
ideas.

Colleagues and I have sometimes incorporated a hands-on workshop where
participants develop a step by step action plan for their idea--not in the Open
Space, but in somewhere in the program.   People seem to get excited by the
process of finding the specific steps that will help to accomplish their goals.
And of course, this is an idea that they already have some passion for!

I think it is inevitable that OS will be messy, and that many participants
will not understand the role of the facilitator.   I do let the planning team
know that I will not be doing any up-front facilitation between the Opening and
Evening News or the Closing Circle, but that I will be very much present the
whole time, supporting the work of the groups and attending to logistical
things as needed.

And I agree that having difficult discussions of things people do not want to
hear is a positive outcome!   Though they may not think much of it at the
time.

Good luck!

Joelle