What is the Question?

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Tue Apr 13 12:08:55 PDT 2004

Kerry said:
"What happens to passion, commitment and ownership if there are limits
and no-go areas?"

Chris said:
"So I like to focus on the question too: a positive, strategic, open
question (if positive, strategic and open is where the group wants to
go...).  I have found that these qualities define the Spirit of the
gathering far more than the givens do."

I agree that finding a theme that is compelling and engaging, some words
that give focus to an OST conversation helps to engage the Spirit --
more than any other preparation this is critical.  This is why it
usually takes a couple of conversations and some soak/dream time to
discover that phrase.  It is also true, that when the phrase was "off"
the emergent processes of the meeting usually went beyond it --
sometimes to show the truth that the "theme" did not connect to the
participants, no matter how well phrased and others to transcend it.

I find that smaller, community based or learning initiatives have very
few things that need to be taken as given.  It also depends on the
nature of the OST theme.  If the theme is broad or largely educational
then there are few.

I disagree with Kerry in my work with larger organizations.  I have
found that articulating givens, in the way I go about it, does not
reduce "passion, commitment and ownership" but in fact increases the
focus of all three.  To me, the invitation is critical and best includes
some of the "context" that has lead to the decision to Open Space using
OST.  Choosing to Open Space to put a light on, to accelerate, to
strengthen the self-organization in that place with regard to the theme
at hand is done in a context -- a flow of organizational activity.  Some
aspects of the context, of decisions previously made, cannot be changed
at the OST event although their "implementation in the now" can be.  For
example, the Labour-Management contract may have some restrictions
specific to the topic at hand.

In larger organizations I work to reduce those things to be "taken as
given" by a sponsor in the planning process.  Usually, they will realize
that fewer givens lead to more possibilities.  However, if there are
some financial or planning parameters that the current sponsor cannot
change they are part of the context of the space that is to be opened.
I find it is better to state them up front so that participants know
where they can immediately take action and where they will need to
develop longer term change strategies.  I find that people feel
empowered to know where they can take action.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada