OS & 9/11 Hearings

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sat Apr 10 15:04:55 PDT 2004

not sure the candidates and campaigns could or should do this, bj.  they
are designed for getting elected.  that process is pretty dicey, founded
as it is on control of story.  they have to take their cues from us.
they can't really lead, they are just scrambling to follow.

so seems we need to organize these things for ourselves and then take
the results to candidates adn elected folks and say "do this..."  and
also, there is a bunch of stuff that we will need to do for ourselves,
which will entail going to govt resources and asking for certain info or
support or whatever.  we need to be educating ourselves and each other.

the blogosphere, a vast and growing network of weblogs (blogs) is one
way that folks are educating themselves and others about many of these
issues.

jeff aitken, who i think must still be lurking here somewhere, has
posted recently in his blog about an effort called "imagine america"
that seeks to make conversations in spite of the election... for the
election and beyond.

national coalition for dialogue and deliberation and the 'let's talk
america' project http://www.thataway.org is also doing things like this.

corrigan and i and some others are coming at things from the perspective
of "giving" and that will emerge as a conference here in chicago in
july.  will share that invite as things progress.  latest news is at
http://www.gifthub.org

so i think these things are happening.  as more people convene living
room sessions, park bench sessions, etc, write things up and study
things on the web, i think that before too too long we end up with a
different sort of candidate bubbling up...

my two cents.  mh

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates