Opening Space for a Closing World

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 11:19:24 PDT 2004

Doug--

Don't remember for sure, but I think that we used butcher paper to capture
random comments at the Mason County Idea Fair, a series of 4 annual community
goal-setting events.   At the Creative Problem Solving Institute, one year
someone put up butcher paper on the wall in the floor lounges of all the dorms we
were using, with wonderful results--comments, pictures, "Creativity Cancels
Age."   I've done it at various kinds of meetings.   Been in an Open Space or two
where someone taped big sheets of paper on the floor in the center of the
circle on the last evening, added pens and crayons--I have some lovely pictures
of people on the floor, adding their words and drawings to a lovely OS mandala.

I also often put an extra flip chart paper on the wall to record comments or
questions that are important but not timely at the moment they are brought
up--a "holding area" so people's concerns are not forgotten.   I also sometimes
ask people to draw instead of write about something we are working on, and post
those on the walls.

The graffiti wall idea is just to put up a long sheet of paper and invite
people to write whatever.   You capture a lot of random thoughts that the writer
does not consider important enough (or mainstream enough) to add to the
official record.   For a planning event, you can specify thoughts or pictures of
possible futures.

Thanks for the question--

Joelle