is it still open?

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Fri Apr 9 08:02:12 PDT 2004

larry,

thanks for this description.  over time, there is a lot of subtlety in how an
organization honors, relies on, tethers to certain givens, while transcending
others.  it also seems to me that the use of language about givens does
something deeper than defining specific parameters for an OST meeting - it
provides common language and a conceptual framework.  in the organization where
i now work, the word "given" is used as a way of talking about current reality
for meetings & gatherings large & small.  interestingly, we never start with
them - we do a transfer-in exercise first, in order to start wide open and
invite the whole in. then we briefly establish the givens as the container in
which the specific work is to be done.

chris