is it still open?

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Fri Apr 9 00:36:59 PDT 2004

having just gotten off a 2+ hour call with a sponsor who has been
actively working for the last few weeks with a number of very diverse
and charged groups/leaders to write an invitation to massive social
mindshift, i really appreciate what you say, brian, about  "givens
disallowing the surprise and openness" ...seems that more often than not
i am bombarded with the givens.  sometimes they are hauled out and
stacked up so neatly to prove that ost can't possibly work here.  more
and more, they are ticked off rather unconsciously as conditions that
must be in place in order to allow the os event to happen.  in the past
i tried to name them and invite them as "givens" but that only seemed to
make more of them.  now, i certainly here them as givens and work to
push them around in such a way that there is some space within for the
opening and surprise and movement that wants to happen.  but i don't
name or invite them as "givens" anymore.  mostly i just keep looking
around for what more and more i am sensing as the "clean spots" in the
midst of the confusion and layers of story.  i just keep fishing for the
clean spots and then sort of sewing and resewing them together until we
get enough space to dance... how's that for mixing metaphors.  sometimes
i think that's how it is with stringing all the clean spots together.
anyway, once we get enough little clean spots of space together, they
can start to have their own shape and life and like you say, things can
grow there, not separate from all the other "given" stuff that's
around.  my twisted little view.  mh

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates