No subject

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 07:19:49 PDT 2004

Kim Willing Wrote:

Questions:
What method will I use to do the prioritizing of those topics requiring
immediate attention??

And, once hot topics are found, shall I ask for a champion to nominate for
each before people break up into action groups or let each group decide (I
am inclined to identify champions whilst still in large group, before
action groups form).

Would it be better to converge similar topics BEFORE prioritizing?  The
voting may be more meaningful this way - less spread out and more
informative? I understand this would need to be a fairly quick, crude,
intuitive process with this no. of people but it might help?

Also, even if only 250 come to the Friday morning session, would it be
unwieldy to use 15 dots each, and given that there may be many more topics
than with a smaller group, I'm wondering whether it might be better to ask
people to just list their top 10 (rather than 5) issues and to give 1 dot
to each vs. ranking them. The counting of dots has to happen fairly quickly
once the voting is done and I don't want to make it impossible.

Kim -- When you have a large-ish group (which for me is anything over 100) I
find that sticky dot get pretty cumbersome. I find the some for of
electronic prioritizing is the only way to go. There is some software which
I think Michael has put on www.openspaceworld.org which can do the job. Or
if you have a friendly techie it is not hard to make a package. The details
and mechanics (math) will be found in my book.

As for converging topics BEFORE prioritizing, I would approach that with
great caution. Folks get very attached to their topics, and take great
offence when somehow they get "merged." Having said that there are also
times when obviously the same issue was addressed in several sessions. My
practice is to go to the several conveners and point out that if their
sessions remain separate, they will essentially divide the vote. It would
therefore make sense to have a single issue (pick one of the titles). I have
never had anybody disagree. The one time I was party to a "forced merge"
(done against my advice by the sponsor) we damn near had a revolution. Made
it, but only by the grace of God -- and of course it was me -- and not the
sponsors in the middle of the circle. As you might understand, there was a
rather pointed conversation in the "debrief". I think I made my point.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: