is it still open?

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 03:19:42 PDT 2004

Chris

Good question.  I don't know that our open space events are any more
or less inspiring than anyone else's.  The process always works,
sometimes it works better than others depending on the participants,
theme, venue and other elements.

We never get into givens, because they may or may not be real. Once
they are tabled, however, they can become barriers.   Assumptions
also may inhibit discussion and they often are not tested.

I take your point about givens not restricting passion and
creativity.  But, can't they limit all those other variables you
mention - purpose, budgets,  accountaibility, partnerships et al.
Isn't it more positive if these things were on the table for
discussion so participants might find a way to do things differently
and overcome prearranged or existing restrictions?

If participants propose impossible actions, they usually do not get
done.  But, surprise, surprise, we find that people are very
responsible and would not dream of jeopardising an opportunity to
discuss matters of great importance to their future by being
excessively demanding and unrealistic.  In this sense, therefore, the
events are self governing, because the opportunity to discuss the
future is highly valued.

If we believe Open Space is about diverse people talking and reaching
agreement over things that matter to them, the energy, passion,
commitment and ownership will decide what, if anything, happens.
So,the only given is what participants decide they want to do and, if
appropriate, what sponsors will support.

If sponsors rule out certain things before an event even starts, they
are unlikely to respond positively if a given/assumption is
challenged.  It becomes a challenge to management preogatives and we
are thrown back into the power game.

Let's not forget that the sponsor benefits, gaining a feel for what
issues are important, a consensus over priorities, creative and
innovative inputs, etc.  This is valuable information and sponsors
need to be responsible too, that is, have the ability to respond.
Why restrict their response by pinning down limits that may or may
not exist, that might be changed or resolved by participants?

Cheers

Kerry
www.openfutures.com