is it still open?

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 14:06:03 PDT 2004

Kerry said:
>“I do not like the idea of sponsors saying ahead of time what is and
>what is not possible BEFORE an event even happens. So, we never
discuss >them unless they are raised.”

I do find something very useful in dealing with the sponsor’s “givens”
however, and that is what I gain from listening to them.

Typically I hold a round table meeting with the sponsoring powers
(sometimes the night before the event). I announce that I want them,
one at a time, to inform me about what they expect.

After they have all spoken, I repeat, in summarized fashion, what each
has told me.  Then I ask them if they are satisfied that I clearly
understood their expectations.  After they all say yes, I state that
what they expect is NOT what they will get! Rather, they will get
something that they will view as far better. “Something” that will
surprise everyone. Finally, I say, when it’s over, if you don’t agree
don’t pay me!

The process of listening to them is what I draw on in Opening Space. It
provides me with a seemingly “true” sense of what is going on in their
minds as well as in the minds of the participates.  I wouldn’t do it
any other way.

=====
Elwin Guild
Future Development International