An Appreciation of the OS Community

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Apr 4 10:19:02 PDT 2004

Robert Sullens wrote:

> I have to admit to having some trouble with the "Whoever comes is the right
> people" principle.  I had difficulty scheduling the event. I had to cut it
> down from 1 1/2 days  to one day and postpone it  twice because of
> scheduling conflicts.  Registration was slow.  I had visions of an empty
> room. I ended up with 18 participants which is about 1/2 what I expected
> and 1/3 of what I had hoped for. But the people who came were the right
> people.. The group generated numerous ideas for future actions and
> organized a committee to plan an all church retreat for later this
> summer.  OS does always work.

The first principle is my favourite.  I often introduce it by inviting
people to look around the circle and seeing who is here and then saying
something like "of all the places that that people could be and all the
important things everyone could be doing, you have all chosen to be
here.  For each person this is by definition the most important thing
you could be doing in the world right at this moment.  So the first
principle honours that intention."

And recently I have added something that Michale Dobbie from Seattle
inspired in a small session convened by Ashley Cooper at the practice of
Peace.  I say "with that kind of intention here, we could really make
something important happen.  What kind of change are we going to make
today?"

Thanks for the story Bob, and congrats.

Chris

--