baskets, containers, sponsorship, & the quality of the space

Colin Morley morleyc1 at btopenworld.com
Sat Apr 3 13:48:26 PST 2004

I have been lurking here for several weeks and I feel like I am on the slip
road traveling at about 20 mph trying to join the motorway moving at 70 mph.
How can I get up to speed?  I live in London, have worked in marketing.  I
am currently working in Ireland most of the time and am moving into broader
kinds of cultural and process change work for organisations.

I have been enjoying in wonder the mixture of chaos and mutual respect, the
openness, honesty and consideration.  It feels very much like a Community
Building Scott Peck type circle.  I am involved with Community Building in
Britain and we help people to organize Community Building circles to
experience Psuedo Community, Chaos, Emptiness and Community.  We have used
Open Space a lot in our process to introduce tasks as well as enable a wider
process.  I have facilitated a few open space events and hope to be involved
with many more.

When I first started doing Open Space the only rule - the Law of 2 Feet -
was against the guidelines of CB.  In CB we tell ourselves we have to stay
and 'see it through'.  If one person leaves it changes the whole dynamic of
the group.  Of course we are always free to walk from anything at any time.
Here it is even more ambiguous - we don't really know who is here, or who
may be here at some point in the future.  And writing things down fixes them
in a 'closed' way - I may change my mind about what I wrote today when I
look again tomorrow.

In joining this group I want to empty myself of the need to heal any of you.
Yet I am sure that many of us are here trying to heal by listening.

Colin Morley

www.empowermentillustrated.com