Open Space / Open List / The Public Domain

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 21:35:38 PST 2004

In a message dated 4/1/04 5:24:02 PM, theresefitz at hotmail.com writes:

> There seems to be some unspoken rank and privilege in this putatively open
> space, an assumption that whereas if this were a physical open space in a
> conference center, I could butterfly my thoughts hither and thither. . . but
> here it feels like only long time members are free to freely speak their
> thoughts.
>
> Therese--

I think that the biggest difference between a "physical" Open Space and a
"virtual" Open Space is that here we get only the words, without the tone of
voice, facial expression, body language--and we are missing the opportunity to
elaborate or correct immediately if our words were misunderstood or incorrectly
interpreted by those who hear us.

I question your assumption that only longtime members are free to speak
freely--I see posts freely speaking from those who have only recently joined the
list, and there are longtime members who are seldom heard from.   Although
apparently you don't consider yourself a "longtime member," you often speak
eloquently to the point of a discussion, and I appreciate your voice.

But I do remember that when I first joined the list, I often hesitated before
pushing the SEND button, knowing that 300 or so people might read my words.
Now I am bolder, or more foolish!

Joelle