intercambio..exchange also in other languages?

Nicolai el.nicolai at web.de
Fri Apr 30 15:26:32 PDT 2004

on 30.04.2004 20:31 Uhr, Chris Corrigan at chris at chriscorrigan.com wrote:

> Nicolai von Ertzdorff wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have to confess, when I picked up the purpose of some in this list and
>> purposed to use it in spanish language also, this was (intentionally) a
>> little bit provocative. Well, finally, I provoked some clear statements.
>> Thanks Artur, thanks Lucas, I almost had been waiting for the quoted ones
>> :-))
>> So, we also will meet in the latin list...
>> warmly,
>> Nicolai
>>

> For sure you can meet online wherever you want to, but I just want to
> say for the record, that Spanish conversation (and conversation in other
> languages) is more than welcome here from my perspective.
>
> English may be a common denominator here, but I'm all for keeping the
> space open in spite of seems to be common to many.
>
> Chris

It would be interesting to hear some more opinions on the item, doesn't
matter, in which language...

My personal opinion is: If there is something interesting to anybody, of
course, I can post it in english. But I always would prefer a posting or an
answer in excellent spanish/portuguese/french/ to one in bad english,
missing half of the argument because of a language problem... And if there
is a posting in a language, that I really do not understand, - what makes
the difference to some ideas which have just not even been posted yet,
because of a language problem? I would not like to miss this resources.

A proper latin list, which is just a little bit more alive, would not be
bad, too. For those, who are not able to read english, it's much better,
than none...

Me personally, I love different languages, and I think, I'd love to know
more about the specific OS-terms in different languages, for instance. I can
imagine, that the number of postings would not augment much, but it would
become more "coloured". I think, it depends on the themes, also. For
example, I read from Michael Pannwitz in the international list, in the
german list, in the sosost-list, depending on the relevancy which is
atributed to one or another group...just take the recent example about the
amusing mini-OS...

When I wrote "provocative" this was, because suddenly the discussion on the
theme stopped.
Of course, when I posted my purpose, I almost had in mind Artur's iberian
wiki list to be used more lively as a spanish list, to point out, that there
are good tools to promote exchange and cooperation.
For example, to traduce "practice of peace" to spanish, as Lucas purposed...
He passed me the ball, I passed it to the list, I thank Artur for catching
it, and just subscribed to the list. Just one more. English list, spanish
one, the german one, and the next one will be the french...

But there is a question which remained open (So, I passed the ball to the
list and Chris caught it):  If spanish and portuguese and french, for
example, would become more frequent in the list, would it enrich the quality
of this list, or would it be a "tower of babel", like Artur stated?
-Something, which would become too big, so, that it would crash? Do we have
the experience to express more than some kind of "mental experiment"?
Can we find out on exchanging opinions or are we allowed to find out on the
flow?

Un abrazo cordial,
Nicolai

PS: here I have collected some statements from other mails, refering to the
theme..

- Therese wrote: In addition to a chance to practice my written Spanish, I'd
get to read it a bit if someone posted in spanish on line.
- Joelle wrote: Don't think I'm up to writing, but I'd love the reading
practice!
- Miguel:  Hi, Les escribo desde Venezuela porque he visto con sumo interes,
la motivacion de las personas de habla hispana y portugues en contar con
recursos mas amplios  en ambas lenguas.
-Lisa: Es un honor conocer a mas miembros de la Espacio Abierto ³tribu².
(y gracias por su paciencia con me español...!tengo que practicar y ejercer
mis musclos lingüísticos!...y no puedo hablar en portugués pero puedo beber
caipirinhas he estado a Rio y quisiera volver a Brasil
- Chris: You should feel free to post on this list in Spanish too...we have
had lots of postings in the past in various languages.  It's easier than
starting a new list from scratch, and there are lots of Spanish and
Portuguese speakers already subscribed here.  English is not the only
language in use here.
-Jean: I'm starting in Open Space 'World' and I wish to contact other people
who speaks portuguese or spanish.
-Nicolai: Following a survey made by Sill.org, spanish is spoken in 21
countries. There are about 332.000.000 native speakers (in comparison to
english: 322.000.000) plus 30.000.000 spanish speaking people in United
states, Filipines, Africa (and Europe)
And of course, it's one of the official UNO-languages.
(Portuguese is spoken by some 200.000.000 native speakers)
-Lucas: So for the moment it seems we could use this list for postings in
spanish language, too. Furthermore we open space to those who want to
practice on written spanish. (He purposed to mark them with <es> in the
subject)
- Artur: I agree that in this list, messages in other languages are welcome.
But I think that this must be used only for "ocasional messages".
I would not like to see here a lot of threads in
Spanish and/or Portuguese. As I wouldn't like to see
full threads in Germany or Sweden...or Japonese. For
these purpose there are other lists or they can be
created. The normal discussion in the OSLIST must be
in English, because that is the denominator of all of
us. Having myself always defended the need for OST
material and sites in every language, I hope to have a
certain credibility to recomend now some contention in
the use of other languages in the OSLIST.
- Harrison:  Artur -- YOUR ARE WONDERFUL! And credible too!!