Can we be space invaders ?? - No, I just need control

Mike Copeland mcopeland at doc.govt.nz
Wed Apr 28 14:35:48 PDT 2004

The old space invader; what to do?

Well here's a story.

My second formal opening of space was for a number of my colleagues at a
lodge up in the mountains of the Southern Alps of New Zealand. We all wanted
to get together for a workshop to network, share ideas and look at ways to
take environmental education forward in our organisation. I decide my
contribution would be to facilitate the workshop in open space.The sponsor
was open to the idea, and although I weren't able to physically meet we did
the sponsorship pre work over the phone.

The workshop duly began. People converged at the venue from all over the
South Island of New Zealand. We had 2 days, comprising 5 sessions, a break,
and then time for convergence and action planning. All went seemingly well.
I opened the space in fear and trembling in front of my colleagues and
people got to work as always (so I'm told).  If their was any dissension it
was from a few of the older folk who had been around and seen it all.

After a busy day and a half we came to convergence. Tensions were running
high with the sponsor. The book of proceedings had run a little late and a
few folks were giving me sideways glances and murmuring  to the sponsor.
Once the book of proceedings had been read and with everyone sitting in the
circle I explained the process (dots, reconvening action planning sessions
etc. ). At this point the sponsor delivered an ultimatum and said the group
hasn't had time altogether and she wanted to run a session with everyone
together. I must admit this wasn't altogether surprising.

I knew instinctively she was invading the space. However not having a vast
wealth of experience in opening space I simply reminded the group that there
was a process for action planning if they wanted to use it, and left the
dots and action planning sheets in the centre of the circle. The sponsor
took over from there. After about an hour of fidgeting in absolute
frustration a few younger group members exploded into using the dots and
prioritizing the topics posted. Unfortunately their time had run out and
people needed to leave.

Later on I asked the sponsor why she felt the need to do what she did. Her
answer "I don't believe in following just one process, open space is only a
process"

What could I say to that? Isn't there something about letting it all go?

Mike Copeland